Posted on 20 April 2009.
Let us have a look at the top 10 most devastating volcanic eruptions based on recorded death toll.
1. Mt. Tambora, Indonesia, 1816 – Death Toll: 92000
This cataclysmic event that happened on April 10-15, 1816 killed about 92,000 individuals which included 10,000 whose caused of death is due to the ash fall and explosion, and about 82,000 from other causes attributable to the volcanic eruption.
2. Mt. Pelee, West Indies, 1902 – Death Toll: 40000
3. Mt. Krakatoa, Indonesia, 1883 – Death Toll: 36000
4. Nevado del Ruiz, Colombia, 1985 – Death Toll: 23000
The death from these volcanic eruption was mainly due to the massive mudslides brought about by the melting of the ice cap of Nevado del Rio burying the City of Armero.
5. Mt. Unzen, Japan, 1792 – Death Toll: 15000