Let us have a look at the top 10 most common causes of accidental deaths which are oftentimes the result of errors in judgment and simple miscues.
1. Car Crashes, 43,200 fatalities a year
The obvious big winner as far as fatal accidents are concerned. Looking at the impressive numbers would convince us that it is better to travel by plane. It is a lot safer than driving to town.
2. Accidental Falls, 14,900 fatalities a year
We may enjoy watching them on TV. However, these simple mishaps can lead to serious injuries and even deaths as the statistics have clearly shown.
3. Poisoning by liquids or solids, 8,600 fatalities a year
These are common fatal accidents due to many hazardous and poisonous materials that surround us particularly at the home front. It will also include other items such as mushrooms, shellfish, etc.
4. Accidental Death by Drowning, 4,000 fatalities a year
These fatal accidents involve all sorts of mishaps like boat accidents, and all imaginable accidents that can happen while bathing, swimming or simply playing in a pool, etc.
5. Accidental Deaths from Burns and Fires, 3,700 fatalities a year
Serious injuries and deaths may be the result of fires and other related mishaps like smoke inhalation, falling while escaping from the fire and sitting through a back draft.
6. Death by Suffocation, 3,300 fatalities a year
This figure might be enough reason for us to learn and master the “Heimlich” technique. It could mean saving your life or the life of a loved one.
7. Accidental Firing, 1,500 fatalities a year
This one may be considered as the most grievous in a top 10 list. The death is caused not by the firearm per se, but by our irresponsible handling of the firearm.
8. Death by Gas Poisoning, 700 fatalities a year
The most common cause of this accident is due to the faulty operation of a cooking appliance or heating equipment. There is also the all too common inhalation of carbon monoxide from a running engine of a standing motor vehicle.
9. Surgical and Medical Complications, 500 fatalities a year
Despite all the advances and cutting edge technology being applied in the medical field, there are still several cases of a death that are attributable to complications and sometimes miscue from the medical institutions and practitioners.
10. Accidental Death Caused by Machineries, 350 fatalities a year
Freak accidents do occur and sometimes failure to take precautionary steps prior to the operation of machinery may lead to serious injuries and even deaths.