Hacking has been a never ending threat to the online community, which has IT gurus as their master minds. These master minds are high-end intellects, in the field of computers and internet. These people have that extra time and the little devil sitting in their mind, which leads to all the trouble created by them. However tackling this threat can become as simple as that, if you know what has to be done at the right time.
We are here to discuss the top ten tips to prevent hacking, let’s see them one by one.
1. Usage of strong passwords still remains at the top and is that single technique one has to implement to be safe online. The stronger the password, the more safe you are. Stronger passwords are defined by various factors such as, password length, usage of numbers or special characters and usage of upper / lower case letters. It is a fact that with an increase in every character, the combination increases exponentially to break the password.
2. Updating security related patches is a must, to keep the hackers at bay. It is very important for you to get immunized against known attacking methods by using the security patches that are updated by your hosting provider. So, keep an eye for any security related updates and immediately take the necessary action, whenever an update is released. This will make sure you are secured and can have a peace of mind.
3. Securing the “PORTs” is another important way to prevent hacking. Ports are constantly opened and closed to interact with the server. It acts as the gateway for transfers, both in and out of the server. Handling of ports requires highly trained professionals and hackers are no less. So it is very important that any unused ports are properly closed, so that it doesn’t become the opening for the hacker to penetrate in to your system.
4. Avoid the usage of generic user names, like ‘admin’ or ‘administrator’. This would simplify the work of a hacker and might lead to many implications. One should understand that usage of user names is equally important and requires the same attention given to password handling. It is very simple, why give the hacker with an easy option to use rather than a complex one. This would for sure help you prevent hacking, at least by a few more percentage.
5. The next tip is about making sure that the CHMOD file permissions are correct. The CHMOD permissions control the access rights for all the files and folders in your server. The CHMOD settings of a file or folder can be changed using a FTP. So, making sure they are accurate is highly important to prevent any unwanted access. One must also make sure that their current CHMOD settings works with the hosts, as there are cases where the host doesn’t allow ’777′ considering the security reasons.