1. Plan in advance. As soon as the date, purpose and time of your event becomes known, begin search and planning. You’ll never regret that you started early.
2. Get to know your local suppliers. Make sure there are several options available in case if something has gone not quite the way you planed it. It will give an edge.
3. Think about location and all appropriate ideas that you will be planning for. There are many ways and styles that will bring some life into the event.
4. Plan with realistic budget. Leave some room for last minute emergencies and cost overruns.
5. Effective communication is of utmost importance for an event planner. You have to understand the acceptable standards with regular reviews of your client. Keep in mind that the party is about the client and that his/her needs are more important than your thoughts.
6. Do not forget to ask the client about any special requirements. Discuss these requirements at the conclusion of the contract with organizers of your action.
7. Define optimum duration of the entertaining program on your party. Quite often long shows does not mean good shows. You do not want visitors to leave in the middle of the event.
8. Find out if any guest transportation services will be available . You might be legally responsible in case if lets say a guest is charged with drinking and driving right after the event.
9. Create a personality that is comfortable to everyone. You should be able to handle things collectively and make the whole process fun for your clients.
10. Enjoy it. The way you handle the process and your overall attitude will make a huge difference in your growth as a successful planner.