Find out the art marvels that are in the shortlist of top 10 most expensive paintings ever sold in an auction.
1. Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer by Gustav Klimt, $135,000,000
The record breaking sale has happened in 2006 and was made by cosmetic’s icon Ronald S. Lauder.
2. Garcon a la Pipe by Pablo Picasso, $104,000,000
This famous painting was done during the renowned Rose Period. This record setting auction happened at Sotheby’s New York in 2004.
3. Dora Maar with Cat by Pablo Picasso, $95,200,000
This is one big surprise that happened in art auction circuit in 2006. It almost doubled the pre-auction price estimate.
4. Portrait of Dr. Gachet by Van Gogh, $82,000,000
This painting by this eminent impressionist guru became famous worldwide when it was bought by Japanese business tycoon Ryoie Saito for a hefty sum of $82.5 million during a Christie’s auction.
5. Le Bassin Aux Nympheas by Monet, $80,451,178
Painted by Claude Monet in 1919, it was sold during an auction conducted at Christie’s London in June of 2008. It is the highest auction of a work of art for Christie’s London.
6. Bal Au Moulin de la Galette by Renoir, $78,000,000
This Renoir creation was sold at an astounding amount of $78 million to Japanese tycoon Saito in May of 1990.
7. Massacre of the Innocents by Rubens, $76,700,000
This masterpiece was painted by Peter Paul Rubens in 1611 and is the only piece of art in the top 10 list which were not made during the 19th century and 20th century. It was bought by Kenneth Thomson during an auction at Sotheby’s.
8. Portrait de l’Artiste sans Barbe by Van Gogh, $71,500,000
This is one among several famous self-portraits of Vincent Van Gogh. It is an oil painting on canvas made in 1889 in France.
9. Rideau, Cruchon et Compotier by Cézanne, $60,500,000
This masterpiece was painted by Paul Cézanne during the period of 1893 and 1894. It was sold during an auction at Sotheby’s New York in 1999 to The Whitneys.
10. Femme aux Bras Croisés by Picasso
This Pablo Picasso masterpiece rounds up our list of top 10 most expensive masterpieces. Picasso painted this masterpiece in 1901 and was part of his most famous Blue Period collection.